'08 Halloween #42: Ten Favorite Holiday Movies

Saturday night is always a good movie night. I thought I'd share just 10 of many favorite movies for the season. I also wanted to get in on the fun seeing some other countdown bloggers posting theirs. My list is not what I think are the BEST movies ever made...there ones that I enjoy, set the mood and just plain inspire my creativity.

In no particular order...

Sleepy Hollow
Just the look and feel of this movie makes watching it with the sound muted enjoyable.



George Pal's War of the Worlds
Great fun. It's the ultimate '50s alien film. It's really dated but still holds up well.



Poltergiest
A good ghost story + Spielberg + ILM effects = classic '80s summer movie nostalgia.



The Exorcist
I grew up going to Catholic Schools and had two Priests in the family. I've heard some spooky tales. I was brought up being taught this stuff is real. It added a whole new level of fear when first saw it.



Van Helsing
I know, I know. I did say this list was not the best movies ever though. I give it credit because the concept of Van Helsing as a Victorian era, high tech using, action/adventure monster hunter is fun. It's become one of those background movies I put on while working on stuff.



Nightmare Before Christmas
It's crazy, I've met people who never heard of this film but love Halloween. If it was 10 years ago, I'd understand. It can't be a small unknown treasure anymore could it?



Bedknobs and Broomsticks
What's not to like about a Witch fighting Nazi Germany in WWII. Still love the "ghost" army in the finale. It's my favorite part .



Young Frankenstein
Never gets old. It's become a personal Halloween ritual to watch at some point on the 31st. Pure fun that always seems to get better in repeated viewing.



Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
A real beloved classic since I was a kid. I remember sitting on the floor in front of the TV watching it in reruns on Sunday mornings.



Ghostbusters
After Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, it's the only other movie I can quote every line of. I say "Mother puss bucket" atleast 15 times a week when frustrated over something.

4 comments:

  1. lol..i too know every line of Ghostbusters..lol..literally. We have to get these two together...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I haven't thought of Bedknobs and Broomsticks in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list, same criteria:

    Young Frankenstein
    The Fog
    Night of the Living Dead
    Frighteners
    Something Wicked This Way Comes
    The Exorcist
    Ed Wood
    Blair Witch Project
    The Others
    Hocus Pocus

    _Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bedknobs and Broomsticks was one of my favorite movies growing up! I got a kick out of seeing it on your list. Poltergeist and of course Ghostbusters were other favorites!

    ReplyDelete