Re-Runs or Valid New Cartoons?

I want to explain myself. I've been feeling guilty. On my web comic Para Abnormal, besides not keeping a regular posting time, I often re-run old art with a new caption or gag. This sometimes includes minor additions/revisions to the original art.

Examples...


Although I do create original art most weeks, I do admit taking advantage of this cartooning cheat when my time is short. It's also very intentional. I want certain characters and situations to become familiar so I might expand on or play off in future Para Abnormal cartoons. Looking at the images above, I hope you notice that the similar cartoons usually separated by days or weeks apart once united in a row almost become a sequential gag.

I would love Para Abnormal to be a paying job one day and devote all my time to drawing completely original panels everyday. Until then, art will repeat once in awhile. I may be rationalizing, but I feel the written words do have thought behind them and makes the cartoon new.

I'm open to your opinion. Is this just re-running an old cartoon, no matter how different the joke or is it a valid new one? Be honest, I really want to know.

7 comments:

  1. I don't see an issue. Animes sometimes use the same "shot" repeatedly in the same episode and across other episodes. I wouldn't call that good anime but they still rake in the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see a problem. I agree that it buids familiarity with the characters and I enjoy seeing them dealing with different situations. My personal favourites are the candy corn and candy roll (Rockets or Smarties, depending on where you are)dealing with the lack of respect they receive :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had assumed that it was a running gag. So I'm already on the bandwagon.

    And, um, you provide entertaining cartoons to us, for free. If you want to run repeats every other day, it ain't our place to kvetch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't worry about it. It just shows that there's more than one way to create a punch line. I like your snow storm series and I thought the Godzilla series where great. I never thought you were doing it to be lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *gasp* The panels are essentially the SAME? Only the WORDS are different? Agh! The agony of your cruel but inevitable deception!
    O.K. Just kidding. I've enjoyed the daylights out of the Godzilla Vs.... series, the Snowstorm series, etc. You're a great talent and I look forward to your panel every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. More knitting panels, please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with another poster. I figured you were doing it on purpose and it never stopped me from laughing at the jokes.
    If you hadn't said anything, I would have never known it was a "time" issue.

    Keep up the funny work.

    ReplyDelete